Tuesday, January 26, 2010

UFO #3...DONE!

My version of "Circle of Life" from Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting March/April 2006
Original design by Deb York

I finished my 3rd UnFinished prOject! This was a big one too. I started "Circle of Life" in the fall of 2008. I loved this quilt from the first time I saw it in the magazine. I love it even more now that it covers me up on the couch! This quilt was no easy venture. First of all, those circles.... they aren't easy to get spaced out just right and then into the center of the square. I cut them out of 5x5 1930s reproduction fabric. After ironing them on I machine blanket stitched around each circle. Oh, those circles ain't goin' anywhere! Then the middle border.... those are pieced one by one. I couldn't strip it because I had 4x4 squares of the 1930s reproduction fabric. I cut each into 4 squares and started piecing. I have had the top done for quite a while. I loved it so much I was afraid to quilt it! I finally decided I had to.



But what to back it with. I had planned to back it just with muslin. But after seeing some quilts backed with patterned fabric I decided to see if could find something. I took the top to The Country Store Quilt Shop and the ladies there helped me find some 1930s reproduction fabric that isn't in the quilt top but goes very well with the quilt as a whole! I love it! It is pretty on both sides.

What unfinished project should I do next?

No comments:

Post a Comment