Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Yee Haw! Introducing "Cowgirls"


The Cowgirl quilt is officially DONE! I broke down and bought a seam ripper at Walmart. I don't like it, it's huge and awkward, but I was desperate.

"Cowgirls," as I have named it (original I know) is not a complicated or intricately designed quilt. It's just squares, squares made from a fat quarter of cowgirl material, 4 shirts I bought at Goodwill (one of my favorite places to buy fabric disguised as 100% cotton shirts), and a pair of my old jeans that I machine embroidered little sunbonnet cowgirls onto. These simple little squares are bordered by some fabric I have had for years with cowgirls on it and then bound by some other fabric that I have had with horseshoes on it. It's backed with a striped soft cotton. Nothing really special or complex.... simple like a... well like I think a cowgirl would want it.

It is incredibly soft, even my old worn out jeans are. Of course I have finished it just in time for the warm weather so it might not get much use for a few months.


Here is my machine hard at work quilting. I used the feather stitch along the seams. I used a light pink in the bobbin thread and it compliments the striped backing fabric and brings it all together I think.

A couple of shots of the front and back. I hope to get one of it flat out but I need more room and better lighting. Look who decided to get some camera action... It's "Circle of Life" peeking in!


A closer look at an edge.

And one of my favorite features... a pocket, courtesy of the cotton shirt!
Now I have a blank planning board! Not for long!

No comments:

Post a Comment