Saturday, September 11, 2010

I Remember

I remember where I was on 9/11/2001. I had just pulled into the Murphy Center parking lot for class at MTSU when I realized that I had forgotten my things for a HS Biology class I had to teach. I decided to skip my class so I wouldn't be late teaching. Rick and Bubba were on the radio. I think it was Bubba that reported that a terrible accident had happened in NY. That's what everyone thought it was until the 2nd plane hit. I got home in time to see the 2nd one live on TV. I watched until I had to go. On my way to the little private school, Rick and Bubba were as solemn as I have ever heard them. Then the unbelievable happened, the first tower fell. The terror in their voices still haunts me. The kids were already watching it when I got there. Another private Christian school was on there senior trip in NY and all the kids knew someone on it. No news about there safety had been heard yet. It was scary to them. Most just wanted reassurance that they were safe. I felt safe where I was at that moment and told them that this little place in the middle of nowhere was not likely to be a target for anyone. But I knew that in one morning everything had changed for America and that made me very uneasy. This was before we knew of who was behind the attacks or if there were going to be any more. No biology was learned that day. No one could focus. Thankfully a parent called before the end of class to say that they had heard from a parent of a kid that was on the trip and that they were okay.

America has changed, but I can't say the way I thought it would looking back to the days and months right after 9/11/01. It seemed that the whole country was unified for once, not on every issue but on the important ones. We looked at each other differently, we talked differently. Nine years later we seem more UNunified than ever. I have a feeling that if they showed the footage more regularly there would be a different America today.

It's a different world today. The radicals didn't win by attacking us on 9/11, but the fight is still going on, and I hate to say it but.... if we don't start remembering and standing up... they will win.



No comments:

Post a Comment